Wednesday, September 16, 2009

final product of american icon project


I first heard of Ryan Hall when I was a freshman. I was new to cross country and was desperately trying to get in shape for my first race in 2 weeks. My XC team held a 3 day trip to Big Bear where anybody who kept up with their running log, could go. I went so I could improve my running. I tried to persuade some of my friends on the team to go, but none were up to it. I went to big bear and I was the only freshman girl to go. Being the freshman I was, I was terrified.
Those 3 days at Big Bear changed my whole high school experience. I realized how much a team can bond in just 3 days, I was able to participate in a program called “move a million miles for Ryan Hall” and to help participate in that program I had to up my game and run with the girls varsity team. Those 3 days were the painfulness experience I had ever gone through, both mentally and physically. I was drained by the time I got home, but was so excited to tell my family about my experience at Big Bear. The first time I had ever heard of Ryan Hall was in Big Bear, freshman year.

Ryan Hall popped up in conversations all the time after that year at Big Bear. My sophomore year I went to Big Bear again, Ryan Hall had just passed the Olympics trial and had a time of 2 hours 3 minuets, he won first place in the Olympics trial. We had mandatory meetings every night on the cabins porch, but on the 2nd night Myette, our coach yelled at us to hurry up and get everyone in the small room with a TV. 60 kids and 10 adults cheering and yelling, all crammed in that room watching Ryan Hall win bronze in the Olympics. I felt so proud to be in Ryan’s home town of big bear, watching him complete his own dream of being in the Olympics. The best night of my life happened there. Ever since then I have always thought of Ryan Hall as my inspiration to being the runner I am today
.
Last year I participated in an organized protest called “The Rescue,” that supported young boys in Uganda Africa who were being abducted from their home. We were supposed to be rescued by someone well known. Ryan Hall rescued us. I was ecstatic that he would come to “The Rescue”! But he came, and gave a speech about protecting the boys in Uganda. I dragged my friend Elena over to meet him and take our picture. I wore my XC jacket and he mentioned it and I told him I was a sophomore in school and ran for the XC team at Patrick Henry high school. Elena then snapped a picture and the rest of the night I freaked out. Ryan Hall has always been my running inspiration, and I inspire to be like him when I grow older.



Micheal Meyer. “The last days of old Beijing.”

USA track and field. 23 June 2009. 10 Sept. 2009. .

The ryan hall story - 2008 olympian. 6 May 2008. Web. 10 Sept. 2009. .


No comments:

Post a Comment