Thursday, June 17, 2010

semester reflection part 1

The hardest challenge for me this year was trying to work around my disability. Every year it gets harder to keep up with my class, this year especially the first semester I was really struggling, I was also having a lot of trouble in engineering. My disability prevents me from memorizing things, so its harder for me to study for tests and memorize vocabulary or equations. In engineering I had to do both, there was one test we took about tools. There were 50 or so tools we had to memorize, meaning name, picture, and description of what they are. This would normally take me about an hour a day for 2 weeks, but I only had 4 days. I started freaking out but I realised that I could ask Karl for extra time to study. Since I took control of the situation and realised that I would need extra help and told him ahead of time I was granted the weekend and the next Monday to study before I had to take the test. In comparison, for example in Randy's class we had to create multiple photo essays. I found that this is much easier for me to do as well as I enjoy it more. I love to take pictures and it comes easier to me then memorizing for a vocabulary test, I am able to finish these photo essays feeling better about myself and wanting to show them off to people.

Some challenges I face with a project based school is having multiple projects all due around the same time. Some times I will focus on one project more then another and totally forget about it, that other one most likely wont turn out very well.

My greatest strength in a project based school is that there aren't very many tests, which means I don't need to study or memorize as much as I did at my old school. I like going to a project based school better then a normal public school it is easier for me to complete a project rather then study and take a test, that's just how my brain works.

No comments:

Post a Comment